Reference Documents

Monday, February 03, 2014

Nipomo Has Sewage Too.

I have been neglecting my friends in Nipomo of late. So to make up for this, I am posting some of the photos of my trip to visit Nipomo's wastewater treatment, both the Town System and the Black Lake System, in 2007. Not everyone gets to see this fun stuff (although I have caught an attenuated view of the Town System while flying down the 101 on many occasions)!

What's interesting to note is that both Nipomo and the County of SLO have responsibilities for the maintenance of their respectively owned collection lines.

Here are some shots of the in-town aerated lagoons from 2007. (Click the image for a larger view.)




Below is what the lagoons look like when empty.





Having not been looking into this lately, apparently there was an upgrade planned to the Biolac technology. Sadly, I have no idea what happened!

Now for Black Lake. It is apparent that if this is not THE Black Lake, it is a black lake.



Or maybe Green Lake.....?

Below is the very Spanish motif building on the property with an indestructible roof. (I recall our sewer buildings will look like farm style buildings, but this is right next to a golf course of an unknown architectural style, perhaps that had an influence? No, I just looked at the website, the clubhouse is sort of non-descript. Anyway I like farm-style buildings and hope it will look sort of like the Van Beurden building on the corner of South Bay Boulevard and Los Osos Valley Road, one of my Los Osos faves).



Here is the other, empty pond awaiting its new plastic liner with the golf course behind it.


And here are the rolls of plastic liner. Stronger even than Hefty Bags!


Off topic, I know, but I happen to be a fan of golf course food. (I am not a fan of golf however, despite my dad's best efforts...I wrote a report on golf in the sixth grade anyway.) 

You will often find Lou and I at Sea Pines Golf Course here in Los Osos at the Clubhouse Grill. So naturally I had to check out what Black Lake offered. I was highly impressed! Must go!! (Check it out, if combining wastewater treatment and food photos does not make you queasy!)

I guess the thing that surprised me the most about my tour was that it wasn't really very stinky. I was expecting to be gagging, but I wasn't!

To further research Nipomo's sewage see the links below.

A handy link to the Sewer Reports:
http://ncsd.ca.gov/cm/Resources/Reports%20by%20Subject.html#Sewer

Sanitary Sewer System Management Plan:
http://ncsd.ca.gov/cm/Resources/Reports%20by%20Subject.html#Sanitary%20Sewer%20System%20Management%20Plan

No comments: