Reference Documents

Monday, December 09, 2019

Sewer War Author Barbara Wolcott Dies

Condolences to the Wolcott family. Matriach Barbara Millen Wolcott died at the age of 87 on December 2, 2019. I saw a tiny death notice in the Friday, December 6 Tribune, and the obituary published in the paper December 8 can also be read off of this link:
https://www.legacy.com/obituaries/sanluisobispo/obituary.aspx?n=barbara-millen-wolcott&pid=194659445

She wrote the textbook for our tragic sewer story that was published in 2009, Small Town, Perfect Storm. And she wrote many, many other things as well, and was nominated twice for a Pulitzer.

I don't know if this is still available at our local Volumes of Pleasure Bookshoppe, but it can be found on Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/Small-Town-Perfect-Storm-Sewer/dp/1930401752/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=barbara+wolcott&qid=1575880437&s=books&sr=1-1

I can't count the number of copies of this book that I have bought and given away to try to explain to people what the emotional and financial explosion was all about over sewage in Los Osos. She told the story in a very readable and concise way (I was interviewed back when). I really wish I had interviewed her for this blog as her viewpoint would have again helped to distill the jumble of events that put poor Los Osos on the national sewage map. My copy of her book is much worn, it is highlighted and pages tabbed in a rainbow of hues. I could not have written here without her help on hundreds of occasions.

So dear Barbara, rest in peace. The war ended, you saw the last battle end with the completion of the wastewater treatment plant and its operation. I hope that gave you a mental final chapter on the story that you brought to life in your wonderful book. My gratitude is with you always for helping me so much.
Perhaps the book can still be ordered here, but I don't know.

No comments: