Reference Documents

Thursday, January 16, 2014

Alfresco Potty at Sea


I was looking for some shots of a sewer plant that I had visited years ago but instead ran across some photos I'd taken while at sea, on my way to Catalina aboard the S.S. Lane Victory. This ship is one of the many Victory ships used in World War II, the Korean War and after, when they were converted to uses other than cargo ships or scrapped. My dad had been in the WWII Merchant Marines, so a sailing tour out of San Pedro to Catalina on this refurbished, floating museum seemed like an interesting and educational trip (for my sister and I) down memory lane (for him).

I wouldn't be writing about this trip if the item below was not hanging off the side of the ship. But to show another side of sewer, this time the ocean itself, seemed appropriate to this Los Osos sewer blog.



I personally can't imagine how desperate I'd have to be to use such an item as this, but I guess, putting myself in the unselfconscious frame of mind as a fish, perhaps in the dead of night........ I think you had to bring your own un-fish-like toilet paper, you really couldn't leave "tissue" out in the damp sea air.

If you are in San Pedro and want an unforgettable experience (you do get a nice lunch too), visit the Lane Victory (the real bathrooms are inside), for either a visit to the museum while the ship is docked, or a cruise. I'm including a link to the ship's website. You might want to visit the Lane Victory's Facebook page too.

No comments: