Reference Documents

Tuesday, October 11, 2016

San Salvador Sanitation



I spent some time Sunday visiting the replica ship the San Salvador over in Morro Bay (1542 is when is the real San Salvador cruised past here). It was quite awesome and would have been worth it at twice the price (only $7.00!). It was really very beautiful and being so new, it did not yet have that dirt-stained "lived in look."

The upper decks were open to the tour and there were three areas where the sixty men on board the real San Salvador slept. We did not get to see below decks where most of the crew bunked, but the officers had an upper deck area where they had stacked, curtained bunks, and the captain - Juan Rodriguez Cabrillo, had his own private room. Naturally, this being a sewer blog, I wondered about sanitation aboard ship. 


Note the chamber pot, and this was in Cabrillo's cabin. Well, I guess it beats the outdoor accommodation I saw at the Lane Victory some years back when I went on a cruise to Catalina. I wrote about that here:

At least Cabrillo got some privacy. I did not ask what the others used, or where. I got stuck on the chamber pot thing and the logistics of using one of those. Toilet paper wasn't common in the western world, and I doubt they had corncobs on board ship. I might find the time to research this Cabrillo issue further, but you can read a bit about toilet paper here in the mean time:



No comments: