Reference Documents

Tuesday, April 30, 2019

Nuggets From the Los Osos Sewer Story In La Vista!

The article that I wrote for the History Center of San Luis Obispo County's journal, La Vista, is out!! Yes, it is on our infamous, tragic, and, sometimes inadvertently hilarious Los Osos sewer story. I was shocked that they accepted my proposal, and I hope that they do not have any regrets!

At a modest 7,554 words, the story covers only the tippy top highlights of course. This story deserves an Encyclopedia Britannica version. I was only supposed to give them 5,000 words but they did not make me cut anything much to my surprise and much more to my relief.

They had quite a sense of humor about this. The cover is an aerial view of Hearst Castle, the back cover is an aerial of the Los Osos sewer. 


My article is at the end, Chapter 8. There are seven prior chapters that will likely interest you a whole lot more, so please don't be scared away by the sewage!

Naturally, anyone purchasing this will be supporting the work of our County's History Center, so I urge you to help them out as generously as you can. This journal, and the prior ones too, are very full with great stories about where we live!

My story would not have been possible without the History Center, and I have spend countless hours in the library basement with the super helpful researchers Alan and Bill, who dug up all sorts of interesting stuff for me. (I also wrote the Arcadia book for Los Osos/Baywood Park which has a small, very small, chapter on the sewer.)

You might want to visit the History Center to look around and buy a copy or two, or 27. Here is the address and the hours:
History Center Museum
Carnegie Library Building
696 Monterey Street
San Luis Obispo
11:00 am to 5:00 pm
Closed Tuesdays

Or you can make your purchase off of this link:

For those of you bold enough to venture into the fraught bowels of Sewerville, I thank you, and I hope that you enjoy the read!

No comments: