Reference Documents

Saturday, June 13, 2020

Molasses In Wastewater!

Okay, this was just too much fun, I had to pass this on!

You will have to answer some question like "Have you heard of XYZ dog food?" to access the article, but it was worth it!

https://www.dailyherald.com/news/20200604/how-lake-county-uses-molasses-to-protect-aquatic-wildlife-more-than-usual

*

We don't discharge the cleaned up stuff into waterways, unless discharge goes at some point into Los Osos Creek.**  (For now, cleaned up H2O is just Broderson, Bayridge and the golf course. Schools - are on the list, but they are just turf!)

* (I swiped this photo from the internet. Sorry website for soft molasses cookies. I did go to my larder to find that old bottle of molasses, but all I could find was two equally old bottles of Karo syrup left over from cookie making project in ...probably 2007. I don't bake much, I microwave. Would I be helping our friendly local wastewater bugs if I poured this stuff down the drain?)

**The BMC is currently analyzing the feasibility, cost, and water supply benefits of a dry weather discharge to Los Osos Creek as a means of recharging the Lower Aquifer and enhancing Basin yield. The results of the current study will be summarized in future Annual Reports.

DRAFT LOS OSOS BASIN PLAN GROUNDWATER MONITORING PROGRAM 2019 ANNUAL MONITORING REPORTt, p. 85

No comments: