Reference Documents

Sunday, September 07, 2014

Coast Starlight Sewage Update

As we wait until 2016 for our very own wastewater treatment facility, here is another sewage narrative to keep you entertained!



So...in case you were wondering, and I know 99.9% of you were not and that's OK, what happens to the collected sewage, hand wash water and shower water on trains, after you flush or the water goes down the drain? It is stored in a holding tank, then off-loaded from this yellow-capped pipe shown in the pix below (click the images for larger views).



The train attendant that I asked wondered about my question and I said that I wrote a sewer blog. He kept his poker face straight, but the passengers around him did not. I won't elaborate. None of them lived in Los Osos, I'm just sure of that.

Anyway, earlier in the trip, I got some shots of strange, green kitty litter-looking stuff on a neighboring track:


Now there were several blobs of this green stuff over a couple of miles. Trains no longer dump excreta on the tracks as they once did, so it couldn't be human-use kitty litter. But how about some granular stuff for oil spills? So I found webpage and the product comes in industrial sized quantities too! http://www.bradyid.com/bradyid/pdpv/GS-10.html No idea if that is what this stuff was. Perhaps instead a variety of railway mold?

Following the moldy thread, read the text on the link below and click on the link "Alien Sludge" for a photo that does not look like this one above, but worth viewing anyway. The dialogue describing it is pertinent. http://www.reddit.com/r/whatisthisthing/comments/1evhg7/alien_sludge_found_near_railroad_tracks/  I did find a desiccated opossum head that looked like a dried fig lying on the platform in Salinas....where I shot the yellow-capped pipe while the train was being repaired for five hours.

Salinas BTW, has a sewer system, here's the proof:



On another track altogether, you might enjoy another sort of train, one that RUNS on sewage.

No comments: