Reference Documents

Sunday, September 28, 2014

Ship Shape Sewage



Toilet in the cabin.

For those of you wondering how sewage is handled on a ship, and I know there is at least one, or maybe a half of you out there, here is some information specific at least to a cruise up the Danube, at least on the Viking ship, Delling, (who was a Norse god known as the "father of the day," or "bringer of the dawn"). I suspect this information is true for all river cruises, at least those in Europe.

Read more here:

Sadly, Hungary, Austria and The Czech Republic are not included here.





I consulted our ship's Program Director Marek S., who, if he thought I was nuts, and I wouldn't blame him if he did, did not give it away in the least, and was very helpful.

Readers, the flushage is NOT going into the river! Like modern trains, and some lakeside houses around the world, the flush part is handled by a vacuum system. Here, it is held in a tank on board ship and disembarks into the city systems, a watery passenger as it were, at docking. In our case, however, only to big cities like Budapest, Vienna and Nuremberg, as needed.

I had first gone on a wheelhouse tour to ask about this, but the crew referred me to Mr. S.. There just wasn't the language to convey the specifics I guess, or so it seemed, although English was spoken and was very clear on the various technical aspects of wheelhouse equipment. Perhaps it was the polite Hungarian way of saying they really didn't want to get onto this particular topic with a crazy American woman.

View over the Second-in-Commands shoulder, who was piloting, showing the contours of the river.

Monitoring view of the ship's water system and tank levels. Didn't take good notes, so this is fresh water or ballast water.


This is the point where I asked for the crew member to bring up the sewage tank screen to show tank levels and got the broken English.

We docked at night in Nuremberg, which was the end of the on-the-water part of the trip. I don't know if things then flowed into the city. Or in Vienna, or Budapest for that matter. I was off touring much of the time rather than watching the ship's discharging. Although we missed the bus one day, so saw crates of beautiful potatoes and apples come on board. 

But here is a shot of a compartment open on the ship's hull. Not at all sure what I was seeing, those ports with plugs and all.


Then, on another ship that was docked, I saw this blue hose hooking up to something that looked like a city utility. But I think it was only water.



To be continued sometime......



No comments: